November 17, 2011

Top 10 Don’t Miss and Top 10 to Skip: Epcot

Note: This Post has 4 Parts 
Magic Kingdom 

These Top 10 lists are aimed at adults visiting WDW.  Except for when I was visiting as a young'un myself and went with my younger brothers and family, I have never been to WDW with children, so I cannot advise for those with young families.

Here are my Top 10 List of Must-Do’s and Top 10 for things you could Skip in Epcot (if you have limited time in WDW), plus my Quick Serve food (and booze) faves for those without a minute to spare.


EPCOT

Soarin'. If you miss this...well, just don't.
Top 10 Must-Do:
  1. Soarin’ – get your Fast Pass for this as soon as you get into the park. No, seriously. Hustle to get to The Land and get on Soarin' (or at least get a fast pass) ASAP.
  2. Spaceship Earth – Well, I guess before you zoom over to Soarin’ you can stop off for a quick ride on Spaceship Earth. I usually make this my first ride at Epcot since you have to walk right by it on your way in.
  3. Mission: Space –Some people get queasy on this, I’ve never had a problem. Only you know what’s right for you and your tummy, if you should do Green Team or Orange Team.
  4. Illuminations – This show and Wishes are the best way to end your evenings at WDW. Do not miss it. Tip: It doesn’t matter where you sit/stand for this, all have a great view, but I like to be across the lake opposite the countries, because they light up, and it’s closer to the main exit.
  5. Test Track – I’m not a super huge fan of this ride, except for the fast part. Tip: Only ever go in the single rider line. It moves 100% more quickly (my numbers are not based in fact, only my observation & opinion).
  6. Turtle Talk with Crush – This one is a little bit hit or miss, depending on who is “playing” Crush, but I’ve had a couple shows where I’ve been crying with laughter, so I’ll say this is a Must-See.
  7. Mouse Gear – this is the only time I will suggest you go to a Disney merchandise store (Epcot country stores are a different story). It’s the biggest one and has almost everything Disney you could want.
  8. Maelstrom – Water ride in Norway. I remember back in the day when this was the ONLY ride at Epcot!
  9. World Showcase Players – If you can catch a street show, take advantage. They’re fantastic, take a few minutes to check them out.
  10. Epcot Character Spot – I am not one for getting loads of photos done with characters, but this is the place to do it if you are on limited time. You get all the “Fab Five” characters in one swoop which is great, and the Cast members will take photos for your Photo Pass or your personal camera.
Captain EO.
I haven't visited this in probably over a decade.
Top 10 to Skip:
  1. Living with the Land – There is usually no line for this, which is fine. Check it out if you have a spare minute; otherwise don’t lose sleep over missing it. The alternative forms of agriculture are interesting, but not my cup of tea.
  2. Circle of Life – Very dated. Good environmental message, but I don't have much to say about it. *Yawn*
  3. Captain EO – Dated, but I might check it out on my next trip in homage to MJ.
  4. The Seas – The Clam-Mobile ride is pretty dull. I somewhat do like the aquarium exhibit bit, though.
  5. American Adventure – Like Hall of Presidents in MK, this is very good if you need a nap in AC.
  6. Reflections of China – Take it or leave it. I really like the shop in the China pavilion, found some really nice stuff in there. Japan too.
  7. Innoventions – I don’t think I’ve ever even been in this. Skip.
  8. Journey into Imagination with Figment – ditto for #7
  9. O Canada – Very dated. Remember when Martin Short was popular? Yea me neither.
  10. Ellen’s Energy Adventure – I have no idea what’s in this attraction. Not my cup of tea to even take time to check out though. Sorry, Ellen!

There are so many fantastic restaurants in Epcot that I should really dedicate another whole post to just the food there; or a whole blog, really. But since this is about how to do WDW in 2 days with quick and dirty instructions for how to jam it all into 48 hrs, I’m going to tell you my favorite snack and Quick-serve places only. 

Also, importantly, I’ve included some highlights for where to ‘Drink Around the World’ (which topic will very soon get a whole post dedicated to it).

Grey Goose Citron Lemonade Slush. Yesss.
Food (and Booze) Favorites:
  1. Sunshine Season Food Fair (The Land) – the food here is a few steps above your average quick serve meal. It’s still very quick and cafeteria style, but lots of nice options. Many healthy and hearty choices that don’t come with a side of fries, if you know what I mean.
  2. La Cava del Tequila (Mexico) – It’s got umm…tequila.  Thumbs up.
  3. Margarita Cart (Mexico) – For margaritas on the run.
  4. Rose and Crown Pub (UK) – Beer. Also quick-serve fish and chips are Super Yum Yum Noms.
  5. Sommerfest (Germany) – German Beer, duh. Optional souvenir glass available for extra breakable fun.
  6. France Pavilion kiosk – Grey Goose Citron Lemonade Slush or Grand Mariner Orange Slush are 'Must-Have’s!! Or wine is available, of course. It’s France.

No comments:

Post a Comment