The Mickey Mouse gas mask was created in January 1942 by T.W. Smith, Jr., the owner of the Sun Rubber Company, and his designer, Dietrich Rempel, with Walt Disney’s approval.
This design of the Mickey Mouse Gas Mask for children was presented to Major General William N. Porter, Chief of the Chemical Warfare Service. The mask was designed so children would carry it and wear it as part of a game.
After approval of the CWS, Sun Rubber Products Company produced approximately 1,000 masks. They were never used and after the war they were distributed to senior officers as keepsakes.”
- Major Robert Walk